[INTERVIEW] ASTRO with X Sports


It will be 1 year since you debuted.
Moonbin: It was really fun while releasing 3 albums and I learned a lot. I gained lots of happiness thanks to the Arohas who supported us. We will be releasing our 4th album soon, so I hope everything goes well. I want to win on a music show too.
Rocky: I think for the 1st year, it's the year we learn a lot. Now, I think we will do well if we show our more improved side. Since we did well last year, we have to do better.

Was there anything that was different than your thoughts after debuting?
Rocky: Looking at the camera. When we were trainees, we had to just look at one, but after debuting, there's about 6. It was hard looking for it.
MJ: I didn't know there was a prerecording. When I watched music shows, I was amazed at how there were endless amount of groups, but some groups prerecord.
Moonbin: I think the dry rehearsal and camera rehearsal was cool. I knew there was going to be one, but not two.
Eunwoo: I once again realized how amazing the seniors were. It's not important to be good at dancing and singing, but you have to go through mental and physical hardships. I also realized that it's important to have a good mindset and teamwork. I want to be a good senior to our future juniors. I want to do well this year too.

How is the atmosphere of ASTRO?
JinJin: We're nice and are full of jokes. When we're alone, we just talk about anything and enjoy ourselves. But when we are choreographing or talking about our work, then we're serious. We hardly fight, we're just kids.
ASTRO: Did you just say we're kids...
Eunwoo: We make fun of each other more than complimenting. We find joy in making fun of each other.
Rocky: Okay but Moonbin's face is a bit bloated. He's like a dumpling.
Moonbin: Fans gave me pumpkin extract to drink but I forgot.
Eunwoo: MJ looks like chocolate milk.
MJ: I color coordinated my face and hair.
JinJin: Eunwoo, you look like a cicada.
Eunwoo: You look like a fish.

ASTRO has less members than lots of new groups nowadays. What are some good reasons to having 6 members?
Rocky: You can never leave one member behind. We all have our own roles, you can tell.
MJ: We will never be lonely. We always have a partner.
Moonbin: When we go overseas or on the plane, no member is alone. Usually it's me and Eunwoo, MJ and JinJin, and Rocky and Sanha who uses hotels together.
JinJin: But sometimes we get worried putting the two youngest together, so MJ is paired up with Sanha and I'm with Rocky. Eunwoo and Moonbin are the middle kids.

Be honest, you didn't know you would have such a cute debut concept right?
Moonbin: We didn't know our debut would be like this. When we were trainees, we covered Big Bang, BTS, and other stronger concepts. We never really covered cute, soft songs so I was shocked when I first heard our debut song. It was very different. I remember having difficulty coming up with expressions.
Rocky: But we're young, so we were natural with the music. It won't be acceptable if we just practice it... I think this concept is just ours. We did expect a stronger concept, but I think we match our current songs.

What concepts do you want to do?
JinJin: Just us playing around. Instead of having powerful choreography, I want us to have a stage where we can naturally communicate with the audience. I want to do a song like Big Bang's 'We Like to Party'.
ASTRO: We can do that in about 10 years right?
So you would have to renew your contracts right?
ASTRO: Renewing contracts party~ yeah yeah yeah yeah~

What are some positive words or advice you were told?
Rocky: One of my friends who is in the music industry told me, 'Looks like you're really enjoying yourself on stage. You're concept is cute and bright, but it's cool.' I was really happy.
MJ: When fans say 'I was having a hard time, but I smiled thanks to you'. It comes around to as a huge strength when fans say this.
Eunwoo: When we post on the fancafe, fans post comments. Then I forget my sadness and it feels like we're communicating so I get happy. Also, my little brother came from China on the 1st, and he said he gains strength watching me. I felt proud and like I could relate to him being alone in China when I was a trainee.
JinJin: And so he cried...
Eunwoo: No......my brother did...not me...
ASTRO: Lies
Did you really not cry?
Eunwoo:
Just a bit??
JinJin: I love it when fans say, 'thank you for being born'. Fans said it not long after we created our fancafe, and I felt really proud. I want to post more every time I see comments like that.
Moonbin: I love it when people say we're a group that they anticipate more from. We work hard to show our best side, but we lack a lot. But I think it's important that the public wants to continue to see us, so I love hearing it. 
Sanha: After debuting, when people texted me 'Oh I saw you on TV' I was thankful. I still can't believe I debuted.
Moonbin: I should text you more often.
Rocky: I'll text you when I watch TV next time.

Are there any moments you want to erase?
Rocky: Our webdrama 'To Be Continued'. Our acting was really awkward. I can do better if we filmed it right now.
Eunwoo: But I don't want to completely remove it. I just want to do it again, to compare before and after.
Sanha: I was supposed to introduce a song on 'Music Bank'. but I forgot to. I was supposed to say 'fighting' with the other groups, but I did it myself.
Moonbin: It's okay, you were cute.

What is ASTRO's goal?
JinJin: We choreograph some of our songs and write rap lyrics, but I want us to become a group that eventually produces songs and makes our performances. I want to do concerts made up of our opinions only.
Eunwoo: I want us to become a group that you can trust and watch, trust and listen to. I want people to anticipate our stages. Become a group where it's worth watching and listening to us, so even other singers watch us and say 'That group is cool. I want to watch them perform'.


translated by Flora @offciastro for @ASTROseasons
please credit
don't repost unless you DM me, quote RT only otherwise!

Previous
Next Post »
0 Comments